Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pins and Needles // Needles and Pins...



I've spent the last two days (almost entirely) digging through, organizing and photographing all the vintage collection BJ works off of. Her design aesthetic in and of itself is amazing... super fun and girly with a mix of rock n' roll... but I like the fact that she references old vintage for new design inspo... either vintage finds or her own vintage designs from the 60's, 70's and 80's. So I've been going through racks upon racks (upon racks) of these garments in an effort to build some kind of organization/cataloging system (....this is where my obsessive list-ing quirks become helpful, I suppose).

...Pretty sure I also stumbled today upon the first safety pin ever created...


If you're a vintage shopper you know the dirt that flies when you're handling this shit. But I'd say dusty paws is a small price to pay for the chance to go through all of these old pieces and see these archives first hand.

Some of my faves...












...and I was going through all the lingerie inspired silky old pieces, I got a total flashback of a story from my kiddy days. When I was a lil' gal I had the normal stuffed animals; coloring books; Barbie's with the limbs torn off of em', naked, helpless and missing Ken... but my favorite thing around the age of 4 was my mom's old silk nightgown. I called it "my nightie" but it came out more like "my Nike" (speech therapist, anyone?) I carried that old ratty thing around everywhere because I guess I just liked the feel of the fabric. From what I hear (from the storytellers), I threw a complete tantrum at pre-school, screaming and crying,... the teacher told my Mom that I wanted my Nike...

Years later I guess I haven't completely lost my obsession with my Nike (amongst other garments).

<3

1 comment:

  1. mmmm pretty taffeta silk funky flimsy flowy things. color me jealous.

    ReplyDelete